Saturday, December 10, 2011

Finally some time to read ~ Books from the last 3 months


Finally some time to read.


It took about 7 years to get my teaching credential, masters degree, complete BITSA (if you do not know what that is then consider yourself blessed).  The economy got rough so I needed to get a second credential in special education ~ leading to night school while I was holding a 120% teaching position.  That lasted 2 years. (this is a big post it will take some time to complete the reviews)

This year in theory was going to be the easy year.  It has been a great year, but rough, exhausting; I find myself as burned out as I ever have been.  But I have had time to read. When I start reading I devour books, chewing them up and spitting them out like gum, sucking all the flavor out of each book then moving on to the next one like a frat boy on  a beer binge.  

The books I like I read 2 or 3 times, I highlight underline and take notes.  In some ways it consumes me as much as I consume them.

Here is how this page is set up.  
1. The book title is linked to the Amazon page for the book (click the link if you would like to purchase it).
2. The picture is of the cover is nice to look at
3. The book review is in the caption of each picture
  1. Facing Violence ~ Preparing for the Unexpected ~ Rory Miller (6.5 out of 10)

  1. Quite Strength ~ Tony Dungy (8 out of 10)

  1. Small Unit Leadership ~ Col Danridge M Malone (5 out of 10)

  1. Domination Basics ~ Secrets of the Alpha Male Book 1 ~ Drawk Kwask (6.5 out of 10)
I purchased this book because I work with some tough Alpha type people.  I was hoping it would give me  some good information about gaining a psychological advantage over people.  It did have some small good tips here and there.  Mostly it was about how to get a girl in bed.  This book would have been more useful when I was in college.  But if you are a young man looking to control women ~ it may be helpful.

  1. Introduction to Philosophy ~ William James Earle (4 out of 10)

  1. Success is Not an Accident ~Tommy Newberry (7 out of 10)

  1. Never Let Go ~ Dan John (9.2 out of 10)

  1. The Athlete's Guide to Recovery ~ Sage Rountree (9 out of 10)

  1. Training for the Fight ~ Paul R Howe (8.2 out of 10)

  1. Wilderness Survival ~ Gregory Davenport  (7 out of 10)

  1. Heart of an athlete  (in progress it is a 90 day book of daily lessons on becoming a better teammate, person, athlete) 

  1. Speed Training for Martial Arts  (this one is in the mail I will review it as soon as I read it)

  1. The Road (ommm an extremely depressing 8 out of 10)
This book stays with you for a couple of days like a punch in the jaw.  A story of a father and son and survival in the worst possible circumstances.  Although it is never fully explained ~ the story begins during a nuclear winter.  A father and son are heading south, we dont know where they are or where south is but it does not matter.  The horrors they encounter are beyond words.  This book was so compelling that i finished it in one day because i wanted the experience to be over.  If you have children you will never look at them the same ~ read this book with care and a night light. 12 11 2011.