Wednesday, November 30, 2011

GYM REVIEWS ~Deciding on an new Crossfit Gym

I was training at a crossfit style gym.
When I got injured my coach and owner of the gym made it clear to me that I was no longer welcomed to train at the gym.
I am not going to say anything negative about my old gym or my old coach. I was a swim coach for 5 years and have played sports one way another since t-ball.  My old gym produced amazing results in 4 months.  Completely changed my body and I pushed myself beyond a lot of walls.

The search:
I am scouring the south bay looking for a great fit for me and the new crossfit gym.  I need a place that is going to support my long term goals of coming back and competing again.  More importantly I need a gym that is going to be a positive place to train and have fun, my wife will be joining me after she has the baby.  It is a big decision picking a gym.

So far I have called around and spoke with a lot of great people.

I have visited

Redondo Beach Crossfit 


I met the owner, he is a young guy that seems to have a solid foundation in the sport.  The gym is only 4 months old.
Pros = its new, so it would be on opportunity to get in at the ground floor and progress with the other athletes.    Very nice people, good location close to home.  The coach is very willing to rehab my ankle and i  believe that he will spend the time to do it right.

Cons = It is so new I worry it wont make it and I will have to start all over at another gym which is a lot of ground work.

Code 3 (in Torrance)


I met the owner today. This is a well established gym that sends lots of athletes to the games.

Pros = high level athletes, i know i will be pushed. they are open to rehabing my ankle.

Cons = it seems intense, i dont know what my wifes comfort level would be.  if we cant train together then this wont work for my family.